Companies or individuals: who buys how much transport in Ukraine?
Since the beginning of the year, Ukrainians have purchased more than 1.1 million vehicles. These include sales of new and used cars, trucks, buses, trailers, semi-trailers and motorcycles. Experts of the Institute of Car Market Research have determined the number and share of vehicles of these categories purchased by individuals and legal entities. Simply put, how many cars are bought by individuals and how many by companies.
The majority of passenger cars purchased in the first eight months of 2021 were purchased by private individuals — 570.4 thousand ( 97.6% of the total ) were registered. Legal entities bought 14.1 thousand cars with mileage, which is 2.4% of all recorded transactions.
The share of used trucks purchased by legal entities is higher: 14.9% among all sales (8 thousand units). Individuals registered 85.1% of trucks, respectively.
Individuals also purchased 78.5% (3.8 thousand units) of the total number of buses with mileage. Accordingly, the companies registered 21.5% (1,000 units) of used vehicles in this category.
Used trailers and semi-trailers were also the most popular among private buyers: there were 78.6% (11.5 thousand). The companies purchased 21.4% of trailers and semi-trailers with mileage (3.1 thousand units).
The vast majority of used motorcycles (99.2%, 12.2 thousand units) went to private buyers, and only 0.8% (93 units) — to companies and organizations.
Thus, 96.1% of cars with mileage in the domestic market are bought by individuals.
IMPORT OF USED TRANSPORT
Used vehicles are imported from abroad by both individuals and legal entities. However, more and more often the person who imported the car and the person for whom the car was first registered in the service center of the Ministry of Internal Affairs do not match. One legal entity could import the car, and then sell the "freshly driven" car to an individual or another company. During registration in the service center, the first owner will be the end user. This practice is common in European countries, but in Ukraine there is a process of redistribution of this market in favor of companies that import and subsequently sell cars to Ukrainians on commission sites.
The vast majority of used cars from abroad (98.7%, 307.2 thousand units) were registered by individuals. Accordingly, only 1.3% of cars (4,000 units) were registered by legal entities. However, used cars brought foreign cars from abroad only in 58.7% of cases (182.6 thousand units). The remaining 41.3% (128.7 thousand units) were imported by legal entities.
Used trucks due to corodon, most individuals registered (10.2%, 14.4 thousand units). Legal entities registered 29.8% of used imported trucks (6.1 thousand units). Instead, most of these cars were imported into Ukraine by legal entities: 95.1% of the total (19.5 thousand units).
Buses with mileage in 59.2% of cases (462 units) were registered by private individuals. Accordingly, the companies registered 40.8% of used buses from abroad (319 units). However, 87.5% of them were imported by legal entities (683 units).
58.2% of used trailers and semi-trailers were registered by individuals (4.3 thousand units), but most of them were also imported from abroad by legal entities (91.2% of cases, 6.8 thousand units).
Almost all used motorcycles from abroad were registered by individuals (99.5%, 5.3 thousand units), but 79% of them were imported to Ukraine by legal entities (4.2 thousand units).
Thus, as of August 2021, most of the used vehicles from abroad are bought by individuals (96.1% of the total), but in 46.3% of cases they are brought by legal entities (159.9 thousand units).
IMPORT OF NEW TRANSPORT
New vehicles are also imported from abroad by both individuals and legal entities.
In 69.7% of cases, individuals bought new cars from abroad (44.2 thousand units). Accordingly, the companies registered 30.3% of the total number of purchased new cars (19.2 thousand units). At the same time, in 98.5% of cases they were imported from abroad by companies (62.6 thousand units).
New trucksin 90% of cases purchased by legal entities (5.3 thousand units). In most cases, they were also imported from abroad by companies (96.1%, 5.6 thousand units).
Almost all new buses were also registered by companies (96.6%, 285 units). 96.9% of them were also imported by legal entities (286 units).
In 83.3% of cases, new trailers and semi-trailers were purchased by legal entities (1.4 thousand units). At the same time, 53.2% of vehicles of this category were imported into Ukraine by individuals (914 units).
98.3% of new motorcycles were registered by private buyers (27.7 thousand units). At the same time, 99.8% of all motorcycles were imported to Ukraine by law firms (28.2 thousand units).
NEW VEHICLES MADE MANUFACTURED IN UKRAINE
Among the new vehicles manufactured in Ukraine, trailers and semi-trailers were in the greatest demand during the first 8 months of 2021. 92.9% of them were purchased by individuals (20.8 thousand units).
In 51.2% of cases, new Ukrainian cars were bought by individuals (3.2 thousand units), while legal entities registered the remaining 48.8% (3.1 thousand units).
98.1% of new trucks manufactured in Ukraine were purchased by legal entities (1.7 thousand units).
Almost all new buses manufactured in Ukraine were also sold to legal entities (98.6%, 425 units).
Read more useful analytics in other publications of the Institute of Car Research.