All news

The market for new cars fell by 50%, and sales of Chery rose to the top. Statistics

Auto stats

The lack of electronic components has led to a shortage and rise in prices for both new and used cars abroad. Last month, the Ukrainian new car market showed growth, unlike in most EU countries. However, in January the crisis reached Ukraine: sales of new cars fell by 50%. Experts from the Automotive Market Research Institute analyzed the dynamics and named the most popular models of the first month of 2022.

In general, in January 2022 in the primary market Ukrainians bought 5.4 thousand new cars. Of the total number of new cars, the first registrations of imported cars amounted to 90.1% (4.9 thousand units), the remaining 9.9% (0.5 thousand cars) — the first registrations of cars manufactured in Ukraine.

Dynamics of the new car market in Ukraine during January 2021 — January 2021

Compared to December 2021, the total volume of the primary market fell by 50.1%.

Compared to January 2021, the total volume of the primary market decreased by 9.4%.

The most popular models of new imported cars

Following the results of January the leader of sales, as well as in December, became Renault band with a market share of 17,5%. Toyota remained in second place in the ranking (share of 11.5%), while the third place from ninth rose to the Chinese brand Chery (7.4%).

The share of brands in the new car market in January 2022

Renault Duster remained the sales leader in January. Toyota Land Cruiser Prado took the second place, Toyota RAV-4 took the third place.

Chery Tiggo 2 (+25 positions) unexpectedly took the fourth place. Sales of Hyundai Tucson brought the model to 5th place (+11 positions). Sales of the new Renault Koleos increased the most — by as much as 67 positions (7th place).

The ninth place, which was taken by another Chery model — Tiggo 4, attracts attention. Closes the top 10 Chevrolet Cobalt, this model rose by 18 steps in the ranking.

Left the top 10, among others, Renault Logan, Toyota Camry and recent sales leader KIA Sportage.

The change of leaders and the top two models of the Chinese brand are also the consequences of the crisis in the global automotive industry. Due to the shortage of new cars in showrooms and the forced long wait for certain brands and models, encourages Ukrainians to buy the cars that are available. Most likely, such changes in the rating will have to be seen every month until the market stabilizes. Experts predict this no earlier than the second half of 2022.

The most popular new cars, sold in January 2022
  1. Renault Duster — 469
  2. Toyota Land Cruiser Prado — 154
  3. Toyota RAV-4 — 151
  4. Chery Tiggo 2 — 144
  5. Hyundai Tucson — 140
  6. Nissan X-Trail — 126
  7. Renault Koleos — 122
  8. Peugeot 301 — 107
  9. Chery Tiggo 4 — 100
  10. Chevrolet Cobalt — 95

The most popular models made in Ukraine

The Skoda brand remained the leader among "Ukrainian" cars, ie cars assembled in Ukraine by the SKD method — ie large-unit assembly. Cars of this brand in Ukraine are manufactured by PJSC "Eurocar" from imported European car kits.

The second place was taken by the products of the Zaporizhia Automobile Plant — the Lada brand. In third place are Kia cars, and in fifth place is Renault. All these items are cars made from imported car kits originating in the Russian Federation. As the official import of vehicles from this country is prohibited, the localization of production in Ukraine is the only way to sell these cars in our country.

Shares of brands of new cars made in Ukraine, sold in January 2022

Among the cars made in Ukraine, there are often specialized cars converted by Ukrainian companies for imported cars. For example, the SCS brand, which took third place in the ranking of the most popular brands in January 2022.

Among the specific "Made in Ukraine" models, Skoda Kodiaq once again took first place. Kia Rio X-Line and Lada Vesta took the second and third places.

Also in January, the list included two such cars — a police Renault Duster and a medical Volkswagen Crafter.

The most popular new cars made in Ukraine were sold in January 2022
  1. Skoda Kodiaq — 119
  2. Kia Rio X-Line — 109
  3. Lada Vesta — 49
  4. Renault Duster (police officer) — 41
  5. Lada Niva — 34
  6. Skoda Karoq — 28
  7. Lada Granta - 26
  8. Renault Arkana — 18
  9. Kia Rio — 17
  10. Volkswagen Crafter (medical) — 16

To order individual statistics and analysis of the automotive market for business development, write to [email protected]

Latest news