September 2021: the absolute record of car sales with mileage
In general, in September 2021 on the secondary market Ukrainians bought 143,379 pieces. passenger cars with mileage. This is the absolute record for the sale of used cars in 2021, and the second result in the last five years. There was more only in February 2019, when there was a "preferential" customs clearance of the so-called "Eurobills". Then during the month on the secondary market sold 146.7 thousand cars with mileage, but most of them were the first registrations of the former "Eurobills".
Another record in September 2021 — the number of domestic resales of cars with mileage: 88.7 thousand cars per month. Since 2016, this figure was higher only in July 2020 (93.9 thousand units), when Ukrainians met the deferred demand for the purchase and registration of used cars after the first "lockdown".
The reasons for this growth may be:
- seasonal September increase in activity in the car market after the holiday season, which is observed annually;
- a wave of preferential customs clearance of the so-called "Eurobills", which has been going on since May this year. Some Ukrainians can sell newly "legalized" cars immediately after customs clearance to get their money back on taxes;
- increased activity due to the tightening of quarantine conditions and the expectation of another "wave" of restrictions, which is expected this fall. Negative experiences of problems with moving around the city due to temporary restrictions on public transport can motivate Ukrainians to buy their own car in advance.
Compared to the previous month ( August 2021 ), the total market volume increased by 9.9%. The share of imports of used cars in the structure of the secondary market decreased slightly — from 39% to 38%; the share of domestic resales increased from 61% to 62%, respectively.
Compared to August 2020, the total market volume increased by 32%. The structure of the market also changed in favor of imports: its share increased from 29% to 38%.
The most popular models, domestic resale
Ukrainiansʼ preferences for buying used cars are stable: in addition to small "permutations" of positions in the ranking, compared to August, the list of 10 most popular models in September remained unchanged.
The first place is invariably occupied by Daewoo Lanos (all modifications of this car, including Sens). In September, Ukrainians bought 3.8 thousand such cars. Compared to August, the models that took second and third place also did not change: Volkswagen Passat (2.9 thousand units) and Skoda Octavia (2.7 thousand units), respectively.
Sales of VAZ 2109/21099 (1,974 units) surpassed Volkswagen Golf (1,956 units) by one position. Renault Megane (1.4 thousand units) and Chevrolet Aveo (1.3 thousand units) climbed one step. Ford Focus (1.3 thousand units) dropped to two positions. Skoda Fabia (1.2 thousand units) and Opel Astra (1.1 thousand units) close the top 10, respectively, and their position in the ranking remains unchanged.
- Daewoo Lanos & Sens — 3 835 pcs.
- Volkswagen Passat — 2 933 pcs.
- Skoda Octavia — 2 678 pcs.
- VAZ 2109/21099 — 1 974 pcs.
- Volkswagen Golf — 1,956 pcs.
- Renault Megane — 1,429 шт.
- Chevrolet Aveo — 1,341 шт.
- Ford Focus — 1,340 шт.
- Skoda Fabia — 1 233 pcs.
- Opel Astra — 1,149 шт.
The most popular models imported from abroad
With "freshly imported" cars (which includes the former so-called "Europlates") is even more interesting. The ranking of the 10 most popular cars with mileage from abroad in September completely repeats the August top-10. Only the numbers have changed, ie the number of cars sold during the month. In all cases — in the direction of increase.
- Volkswagen Passat — 3 367 pcs.
- Volkswagen Golf — 2,823 pcs.
- Skoda Octavia — 2 515 pcs.
- Renault Megane — 1,868 шт.
- Ford Focus — 1,611 шт.
- Opel Zafira — 1,331 шт.
- Renault Scenic — 1,289 шт.
- Opel Astra — 1,242 pcs.
- Audi A6 — 1,075 pcs.
- Audi A4 — 1,031 pcs.
OVERALL RATING OF USED CARS ON THE SECONDARY MARKET
Domestic resales together with imported used cars form the general rating of used cars in Ukraine. It allows you to track the general interest of Ukrainians in specific models of cars with mileage.
The Volkswagen Passat remains the "peopleʼs" car of Ukrainians. As many as 6.3 thousand such models were purchased in September. Compared to August, the positions of the models from the second to the seventh in the ranking of the most popular used cars on the secondary market have not changed either. Only the number of cars sold increased.
The biggest changes took place in the last three. Immediately on the eighth position was VAZ 2109/21099 (sold almost 2 thousand units). This may be evidence of increased demand for the segment of the cheapest cars against the background of increasing quarantine restrictions.
Audi A6 (1.9 thousand units) overtook Hyundai Sonata and took 10th place among the most popular cars with mileage in September. This may be a consequence of the legalization of "Eurobills": Audi A6 was once popular among buyers of duty-free cars.
- Volkswagen Passat — 6,300 pcs.
- Skoda Octavia - 5 193 pcs.
- Volkswagen Golf - 4,779 pcs.
- Daewoo Lanos & Sens - 3,861 шт.
- Renault Megane - 3 297 pcs.
- Ford Focus - 2,951 шт.
- Opel Astra - 2,391 pcs.
- Skoda Fabia - 2,223 pcs.
- VAZ 2109 & 21099 - 1 974 pcs.
- Renault Scenic - 1 965 pcs.
- Audi A6 - 1,888 pcs.
Read about the market of new cars and other categories of vehicles in the following publications of the Institute of Car Market Research.