All news

Demand for cars from China is growing in Ukraine

Auto stats

In August 2023, the number of new and used imported cars made in China crossed the thousand mark, which turned out to be the highest figure since the beginning of the full-scale invasion. Experts of the Institute of Car Market Research determined which cars have the greatest demand among Ukrainians.

How many cars are brought from China?

In August, the Ukrainian fleet was replenished with 1,077 cars with a Chinese VIN, which was 21.4% more than in July 2023, and twice as much as in August 2022. Since the beginning of the full-scale invasion, this indicator turned out to be the largest. Interest in such machines — both new and used — is growing.

Dynamics of first registrations of new and used cars manufactured in China, August 2022 — August 2023

In total, from January to August, inclusive, Ukrainians registered 7,078 cars manufactured in China for the first time. Most of them ( 64.6% ) were new, the remaining 35.4% were used.

At the same time, almost all cars were passenger cars : 97.9% of the total number during the first 8 months of 2023 (6.9 thousand). There were only 144 trucks. (2%), and 6 buses (0.1%). It is interesting that the most Chinese trucks in the last 12 months (as many as 47 units) were registered in December 2022.

Structure of imports of new and used vehicles manufactured in China by type, August 2022 — August 2023

The main part of cars from China turned out to be electric : 79.1% (5.6 thousand) for the period from January to August 2023. This number is growing: it is 12.7% more than according to the results of 2022.

Structure of imports of new and used vehicles made in China by engine type, August 2022 to August 2023

What are the most popular new cars made in China?

The leader of new cars from China in January-August 2023 was the Volkswagen ID.4 (1,392 units). These cars are manufactured in Foshan (FAW-Volkswagen plant, called ID.4 Crozz) and Antin (SAIC Volkswagen plant, called ID.4 X).

In second place was the Chinese Honda M-NV (548 units), which is manufactured at the Dongfeng Honda plant under the name Ciimo M-NV. Both models are not officially supplied to Ukraine, that is, they are almost entirely so-called "grey" imports.

The third place was taken by the Chery Tiggo 4 model, which is officially present in Ukraine (339 units). The fourth place was taken by Volkswawgen ID.6 (275 units), which is manufactured for the Chinese market at the FAW-Volkswagen plant (under the ID.6 Crozz brand) and at SAIC-Volkswagen (ID.6 X model).

Rounding out the top five is Chery Tiggo 2 (201 units), which is officially delivered to Ukraine.

  1. Volkswagen ID.4 — 1392 pcs.
  2. Honda M-NV — 548 pcs.
  3. Chery Tiggo 4 — 339 pcs.
  4. Volkswagen ID.6 — 275 pcs.
  5. Chery Tiggo 2 — 201 pcs.
  6. MG HS — 152 pcs.
  7. Honda e:NS1 — 137 pcs.
  8. Chery Jetour X70 — 123 pcs.
  9. Haval H6 — 115 pcs.
  10. Volkswagen ID.3 — 94 pcs.
  11. Geely Atlas Pro — 86 pcs.
  12. Toyota bZ4X — 80 pcs.
  13. Honda e:NP1 — 78 pcs.
  14. MG 4 — 75 pcs.
  15. Chery Tiggo 7 — 63 pcs.

What Chinese cars with mileage are brought?

The average age of used Chinese cars, which were first registered in Ukraine in January-August 2023, was 1.7 years. It is interesting that this indicator decreases every year. So, according to the results of 2022, it was 1.9 years, and in 2021 — 3.9 years. That is, most Ukrainians are interested in, if not new, then almost new Chinese cars, up to 2 years old.

Volkswagen ID.4 was also the most popular among used cars from China. Almost a thousand of them have been brought since the beginning of the year.

Second place, as in the list of new Chinese cars, was taken by Honda M-NV (444 units). Volkswawgen ID.6 (178 units) took third place, and Tesla Model Y (94 units), which is manufactured at a factory in Shanghai, took fourth place.

Rounding out the top five is the Honda e:NS1 (64 units), which is manufactured at the joint Japanese-Chinese factory Dongfeng Honda.

  1. Volkswagen ID.4 — 947 pcs.
  2. Honda M-NV — 444 pcs.
  3. Volkswagen ID.6 — 178 pcs.
  4. Tesla Model Y — 94 pcs.
  5. Honda e:NS1 — 64 pcs.
  6. Buick Envision — 55 pcs.
  7. Weltmeister EX5 — 53 pcs.
  8. Tesla Model 3 — 49 pcs.
  9. BYD Song Plus — 42 pcs.
  10. Toyota bZ4X — 41 pcs.
  11. Geely Emgrand — 38 pcs.
  12. BYD Tang — 27 pcs.
  13. Honda e:NP1 — 26 pcs.
  14. Polestar 2 — 25 pcs.
  15. Nissan Ariya — 24 pcs.

Subscribe to the Telegram channel of the Auto Market Research Institute to be the first to receive information without advertising or spam.

Latest news